- Blog at least five times a week.
- Spend at least an hour a day researching markets, sending out queries, and applying for freelance gigs.
- A little more specific...send out one query a week and apply for five freelance gigs per week.
- Be more proactive about leaving comments on blogs I frequent and contributing to discussions on boards like these (AW) instead of just lurking.
I didn't meet all of those goals. Obviously, I haven't been blogging as often as I promised, although I have been trying to keep it fairly up-to-date. I haven't sent out any query letters, and while I've applied for freelance gigs, it hasn't been the five a week I originally aimed for. I have been better about establishing a more vocal presence online, though, and I've definitely been doing plenty of research.
The end of the month is always filled with coulda-woulda-shouldas. But being a person who tends to see the glass as half-full, I prefer to concentrate on what I've accomplished in a particular month. I may not have achieved all my goals, but JHS inspired me to put myself out there more than I ever have before. As a result, this month has been the most productive in my fledgling freelance career.
- I applied for nine freelance writing or editing gigs.
- As I mentioned the other day, one of them got back to me last week, wanting to see an article on spec.
- I wrote that article, submitted it, and was contracted to write 2-10 articles a week for them.
- I heard back from another one today, asking if I'd be interested in submitting how-to articles. They're due February 8, so researching and writing them will be part of my February goals.
- I wrote and submitted a short story for the 24-hour short story contest at Writers Weekly.
- While not technically a writing goal, I did set up profiles at MySpace and LinkedIn for professional networking.
So maybe I didn't do exactly what I'd set out to do at the beginning of the month. But my career has taken some interesting turns. I squelched some of my fears and wrote a short story, and I've lined up two decent-paying gigs for myself. It can only get better from here.
I can't wait to see what February has in store.