Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

Well, it's New Year's Eve. My local production of Beauty and the Beast has wrapped, and now there's nothing to do but look forward to the new year and set some writing and acting goals for myself.

2007 was an excellent year. I got my first paid writing assignment (for Pet Gazette magazine), and landed my first leading role in a musical. I was lucky; I sort of fell into those opportunities. But I plan to step up my game in 2008.

So without further ado, here are MusicalWriter's 2008 New Year's Resolutions:

1. Blog at least five times a week. That should work out to once every weekday, but since I do work full-time, I know there will be days when I just won't have time. If that happens, I plan to catch up on the weekends. So please stick around, because there will be plenty of new content on this site in January.

2. Spend at least an hour a day researching markets, sending out queries, and applying for freelance gigs.

3. Watch less TV---which shouldn't be too difficult now that my favorite shows are gone due to the WGA strike---and use my newfound free time to write. (Although as much as I'm enjoying the free time, I'm starting to go through severe Pushing Daisies withdrawal. Sigh.)

4. Overcome my crippling audition fear by trying out for more community theatre productions. If I don't get cast, I don't get cast...but I have more confidence in my abilities now, and the more I audition, the easier it should get. Theoretically.

5. See at least four professional shows this year (I've been averaging three a year, and I'd like to add one), and as many amateur or school productions as possible. Nothing makes me appreciate my favorite art form more than watching other actors do their thing.


Happy New Year, everyone. Here's to a fantastic 2008. What are your resolutions?

No comments: